Wednesday, February 09, 2011

What is Madison reading now???



Are you looking for a good book to read but you don't know which one to choose?

Check out what some of Madison's students and staff have been reading.

The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod 1-5
Author: Heather Brewer


A Boy that is half human and half vampire tries to blend in with the humans and avoid
being killed by an evil vampire that wants his power. I liked this book because it was funny and thrilling. I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in action and vampires.
~Ameritia C.F

Does my Head Look Big in This?
Author: Randa Abdel-Fattah
Setting- Australia


The main themes are conflict with own self and religious decisions. The plot of the book is the main character deciding to wear her head scarf full time, while in high school.
I really liked this book because I could identify with the main character, but I feel this book would be good for almost anyone.
~Keiyro Yassin

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Author: J.K. Rowling



In this book Harry finds out he is the chosen one. The main theme of this book is to believe in yourself. I liked this book because it fills in so many pieces of the puzzle that have been coming together in the Harry Potter series!!
I think anyone who likes Twilight, but has not read Harry Potter yet should read this book!
~Jhanna Medel (SUN staff)

The Kite Runner
Author: Khaled Hosseini



The setting changes throughout the book, it starts in Afgahanistan but it ends in America.
The main themes of the book are forgiveness, love and redemption.
I liked this book quite a lot because I learned more about Afghanistan. It was beautifully written; I loved every page because of the authors writing style. This book reveals a lot about the expectation of their society based on status and fear. Everyone should read this book because it gives the reader a lesson on how the smallest pleasures in life can sometimes be the ones that bring us closest together. I also learned that we should not take people for granted in life as they may be the one who holds us in higher esteem than anyone else.
~Monique Gemechu

The Last Song
Author: Nicholas Sparks



This book tells the story of a rebellious teen, Ronnie whose parents are divorced. When her mom sends her and her brother, Noah to her estranged Father’s house for the summer she is less than thrilled. Ronnie ends up having a summer to remember filled with her first love and a greater understanding of her father. I originally read this book because I saw the movie and let me tell you the book is 10 thousand times better! I loved it! This book is great for people who like young romance stories and for people that can take a little drama because some parts are sad.
~Michele Murray

The Absolutely True Diaries of a Part-Time Indian
Author: Sherman Alexie



The story of this book is about a teenage Indian named Arnold Spirit, or “Junior.” Because of a series of evens that are caused by Arnold acting up in class, he is relocated to a new high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. The main theme of the book is to hold on to hope. I liked the book because it was funny and dramatic, and I related to the main character. This book has some swear words and mature humor; there are also some adult themes. It is also very sad at various points, so if you don’t like this kind of book, I would recommend you read something else.
~Jacob Thornlow

Catcher in the Rye
Author: J.D. Salinger



When I was in 8th grade I read a piece of literature that blew my mind. I read The Catcher in the Rye. The book takes place in New York in the 1950s and depicts the story of Holden Caulfield as he goes through an adventure of self realization and maturation. I found the book very relatable and believable, I felt very close with the character. I think everyone should read this book!
~Max Leatha

All Around the Town
Author: Mary Higgins Clark



This book takes place in Ridgewood, New Jersey. It is about a girl who was abducted when she was six and now suffers from multiple personality disorder. Her abductors are near her and are watching her every move, playing sick mind games with her to make her believe she is suicidal. Later her English professor is killed and she is accused of the murder. She is found with the murder weapon but can not remember a single detail about the night. As all the details start to come out the reader realizes she did not kill the man, but she is still in danger from her abductors who have come back to make her commit suicide and get rid of her. I loved this book because the characters were so realistic. I felt as if I knew them and the places and events are described so well at times I felt as if I was there with the characters. Also the author makes the characters seem so realistic she even points out their flaws, accenting yet again the realism of the book. I loved the ending because it was so surprising I didn’t see it coming. People who love suspense and adventure would love this book. Also anyone who loves a quick read.
~Gaby Escobedo

No comments: